The new smart device Samsung Galaxy s8 is here, which has more expanded and exciting new features compared to its predecessor Samsung galaxy s7. The new device is more bigger in display size, the memory capacity, the camera as well as the processor.
On the camera, Samsung Galaxy S8 maintains the single 12 megapixels camera on the back as the Samsung Galaxy S7. It does not have dual rear-cameras like the LG G6 and the iPhone 7 Plus. The rear camera still features Optical Image Stabilisation. Though the camera seems not to be any different from the S7, Samsung claims it has done a lot of work on the software side.
However, Samsung Galaxy S8 is improving the front facing camera from a 5 megapixels camera to an 8 megapixels camera. The camera is also adding autofocus as well as HDR.
Depending on your country, Samsung Galaxy S8 will either offer an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 or an octa-core Samsung Exynos chipset. Both are 10nm chips, which means they are going to be more energy efficient. Samsung Galaxy S8 sports 4GB RAM and 64GB built-in storage. It supports up to 256GB microSD memory card.
Samsung Galaxy S8 offers Gigabit LTE. This means the smartphone is future-proof with support for up to 1024 Mbps downloads speeds once operators build the network capacity. The smartphone will support 4G LTE in most countries including Nigeria. All major LTE networks in Nigeria are supported including Glo Mobile, MTN, Etisalat, NTel, Smile, and InterC.
The Android phone offers Bluetooth 5.0 (first phone to support), USB Type C (USB 3.1), dual-band Wi-Fi, wireless charging, and NFC. Samsung Galaxy S8 features face unlock, which is very easy and fast for unlocking your phone. However, to perform more sensitive tasks, the Android phablet will require iris scan or fingerprint sensor.
ALSO READ>> Samsung galaxy s7 specs, Overview and Price.
Also, Samsung Galaxy S8 is loaded with Android 7.0 (Nougat) with the usual Samsung UI skin, though the company seems to have cleaned things up a bit. Like we stated earlier, the smartphone is coming with a new digital assistant called Bixby.
Bixby will assist you in performing tasks via voice command on your phone like editing photos or making a call. It can also read QR codes, extract text from a label or document (OCR), and identify real world object via the camera and optical image recognition.
When it extracts a foreign language, Bixby uses Google Translate to translate to your preferred language. Samsung Galaxy S8 provides a dedicated button on the left side for launching Bixby.
On the screen display, despite offering a bigger screen, the Galaxy S8 is smaller in size when compared with the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. The fact that the Samsung Galaxy S8 is almost bezeless also helped a great deal in making it more compact.
The brilliant 5.8-inch Super AMOLED display offers a resolution of 1440 x 2960 pixels. The display is covered in curved Corning Gorilla Glass 5. The left and right ends of the glass are curved as well as the four corners.
With the physical home button gone, the Samsung Galaxy S8 sports an onscreen home button (with haptic feedback). Sometimes, the home button will disappear when you are in some apps, you just have to press and hold the bottom of the screen to make it visible again.
Samsung Galaxy S8 sports a USB Type C port and a 3.5mm audio jack at the bottom side of the phone. On the right side of the phone, you have a power button, which will also launch the camera if you double click it.
On the left side, the Samsung Galaxy S8 features the volume rocker, below which you will find a dedicated button for Samsung’s new intelligent digital assistant called Bixby. The smartphone is rated IP8 with capacity to take 1.5 metre of water for up to 30 minutes.
ALSO READ>> Samsung galaxy c7 Pro specs, Overview and Price.
- 5.8-inch Super AMOLED Display, 1440 x 2960 pixels (570ppi)
- Octa-core 10nm-class chipset (Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 or Samsung Exynos 8895 Octa)
- Bixby Intelligent Digital Assistant with dedicated launch button
- Android 7.0 (Nougat) with 4GB RAM
- 64GB Storage with support for memory card up to 256GB
- 12MP Rear Camera and 8MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Rear), Iris Scan, Face Unlock
- Gigabit LTE (up to 1024 Mbps download)
- 3000 mAh Battery with Fast Charging
OVERVIEW AND PRICE
The smartphone is available in around the rate of $600-$660. But in Nigeria, the price is from N220k- N270k depending on your location and also the model.
On Jumia, you can buy it HERE
The general Overview of Samsung Galaxy S8 smartphone are shown below :
- Platform: Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Processor: US: Octa-core Processor: 2.35GHz quad-core and 1.9GHz quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 835), EMEA: Octa-core Processor: 2.3GHz quad-core and 1.7GHz quad-core (Samsung Exynos 8895 Octa)
- GPU: Adreno 540 (Qualcomm)
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue, Maple Gold
- Dimension: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm
- Weight: 155g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM or Dual SIM
- Display: 5.8-inch Super AMOLED, 1440 x 2960 pixels (570 ppi), 18.5:9 Aspect Ratio
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Rear Camera: 12MP Camera, 4K Ultra HD 2160p Video 1080p @30fps
- Rear Camera Features: Phase Detection Autofocus, LED flash, OIS, Auto HDR, Geo-tagging, Touch Focus, Face/Smile Detection, Panorama, Slo Motion, Hyperlapse
- Front Camera: 8MP Camera, autofocus, HDR
- Built-in Storage: 64GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes (requires SIM2 slot for dual-SIM models)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes, 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: Yes, 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 17(700), 20(800), 28(700)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes, up to 42.2 Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 1024 Mbps
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type C (USB 3.1)
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: MP3/WAV/eAAC+/Flac player
- Video Player: Xvid/MP4/H.264 player
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: Yes
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: Yes
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Rear)
- Iris Scanner: Yes
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes, Bixby, Google Now, etc
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes (Qi/PMA)
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes, Samsung Pay
- Water Resistant: Yes, survives in up to 1.5 metre of water for up to 30 minutes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No
- Battery: 3000 mAh Li-ion Battery (non-removable)
- Talktime: up to 20 hours.